December 07, 2020
– ‘Tis the time of year when people are sending gifts and receiving gifts through the mail. During the pandemic, more and more people have been shopping online which means there will be an increase of items delivered through the mail. We want everyone to have a happy holiday and receive everything they’ve ordered.
So far in 2020 (January to October), there have been over 670 reports of mail theft in Alberta RCMP jurisdiction. Last year, in all of 2019, there were over 4,000 occurrences of mail theft within Alberta RCMP jurisdiction.
Here are some tips for keeping your mail safe:
- Check your mail every day.
- If you plan to be away, have a trusted neighbour or family member check your mail.
- Plan to be home when packages are supposed to arrive or arrange an alternate pickup location.
- Don’t mail cash.
- Track your shipments, and if possible, opt for a “signature required” delivery.
- Consider installing surveillance cameras.
For the month of December, follow #MailSafety for more safety tips and follow our social media accounts on Facebook (@RCMPinAlberta), Twitter (@RCMPAlberta) and YouTube (RCMP-GRC Alberta).
RCMP encourage the public to report any criminal or suspicious activity to police. Reports tell us where to look, who to look for, and where to patrol in the future. If you see a crime in progress, dial 911. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.